03 April 2010

Movie Review: How To Train Your Dragon

Date: 3 Apr 10
Time: 11:3
Location: GV Grand
Kaki: ZXL
Rating: 4 stars
Language: English (with Chinese Subtitles)

Synopsis:
From the studio that brought you Shrek, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda comes How to Train Your Dragon. Set in the mythical world of burly Vikings and wild dragons, and based on the book by Cressida Cowell, the action comedy tells the story of Hiccup, a Viking teenager who doesnt exactly fit in with his tribes longstanding tradition of heroic dragon slayers. Hiccups world is turned upside down when he encounters a dragon that challenges he and his fellow Vikings to see the world from an entirely different point of view.

Review:
Other than the unholy hour of 1130am (there were REALLY NO TICKETS), which meant I had to set my alarm so I could get up on time, on a Saturday, to watch the movie... it was just great! Even being in a hall full of fidgety kids did not spoil the movie for me.

1. It was funny. There were some good jokes, that were not over cliched, it was not "all shown during the screeners", so there were new jokes that you could genuinely LOL at.

2. It was well animated. Well, I didn't expect anything less, and they met my expectations. Which is ery good.

3. I am a sucker for animals (dragons included) themed stories, where there's the taming, and the "pets" related themes. And this was fairly well done.

I did wonder if I should have watched it in 3D (but I couldn't get tickets)... heck lah. Let me know if the effects were that great. I am not a huge 3D fan, unless you can convince me that the effects will be REALLY good... don't quite fancy having a huge pair of glasses that are rash inducing on my face. :P

Anyways, I gave it a 4 star rating, cuz I have watched my share of crappy animation, which were a total waste of time. This, was actually pretty good. :) Light hearted, perfect for a weekday night movie, or just a relak weekend afternoon movie. :) Nothing heavy, nothing intense, just your regular feel good "la la la" movie. Catch it if you can, and let me know if the 3D is worth the additional $5. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than if you would enjoy a ride on a dragon experience, the 3D like I said, is a can do can do without thing. You're not missing much so long as the plot is good.

SyncoID

The Smiley Grouch said...

I would enjoy a dragon ride actually.. so did you watch it in 3D?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I ironically wanted to catch it in 2D but all the theatres in the area where I'm in (bugis) then only had it in 3D. It was a weekday tho so I only spent $11, which isn't too bad. I can't see myself paying $14 for a movie, period.

The Smiley Grouch said...

bwahaha.. CMI.. I wanted to watch it in 3D but couldn't get tickets, so had to compromise for 2D... Murphy's Law...