26 February 2011

Game Review: The Smurfs' Village


Game: The Smurfs' Village

Platform: iPhone 4

Started Playing: Februrary 2011

Current Level: 29



Synopsis:

Based on the original cartoon and comic art, players begin the game under the guidance of Papa Smurf, with only a single mushroom house and a lone plowed plot of land. From there, things quickly progress, allowing players to build specialized houses, elaborate gardens with colorful crops, bridges to span running rivers, trodden paths, and more.



Review:
Soo... upon special request, am writing a review for The Smurfs' Village. :) It is a pretty engaging game and it's a mixture of several types of possible game play on the iPhone.




(A) The standard farm and harvest format


  • It has the standard harvest and earn XP (experience points) and $$.

  • They limit the plot of lands you can have by the number of smurfs you have in the village to farm the land.

  • No. of smurfs you can get is limited by the amount of housing you can get, which is limited by the level you are at.

(B) iPhone's motion sensor detector type of game



  • There are additional mini game within this farm and harvest game which allows you to earn extra XP and $$.

  • These games are really more meant for kids, but my take is that it is also somewhat limited by the type of play that you can get out of the iPhone - e.g. reaction, timing, shaking the iphone (to mix potions) and what not.

(C) Storyline Based



  • The addition would be that they have tied a storyline to this, so it's not just a "farm, harvest and play mini games" game, instead, they have papa smurf sending you on selected missions, all of which of course, earn you extra XP.

Quite entertaining and the graphics are pretty good... I am just entertaining myself as I like games which I only need to check on once in a while, as opposed to the "Angry Birds" which requires me to staring at the screen and playing at the same time.


I play all types of games of course, including "Angry Birds" and "Bejeweled 2", but those are in a different category as they are what you would call puzzle games. :) Nvm... anyway, Smurfs' Village is not bad a game, just remember not to waste your berries, they're very precious and should be used to buy unique houses, that allows you to earn more XP and level up faster (instead of wasting it to build houses/for the plot of land to harvest at a faster pace). :)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG SMURFS, I tell you this could bring me over to the dark side, but I'd pfer an ipad to an iphone anyday.

SyncoID

The Smiley Grouch said...

Well, the good thing abt the iPhone is, it triples up as a phone, ur music player and a 'game console' when u r on the move, and it's more portable... iPad is bigger, w a screen making surfing and the games more fun... Slightly less portable... So it really depends on what you want...

Anonymous said...

Well, what I really is giant/readable webpage/ebook reader comparable to notebooks/netbooks but without the added weight, more than I want it as a phone or mp3. I don't know about you, but I don't really care much for an over cluttered phone for some reason, even if my current phone does come with MP3 + camera, I have a seperate mp3 player, game console, and only use the cam when I don't have my cam with me. So yup, IPAD ALL THE WAY. :D Or galaxy pad, but both have cons I didn't like so I couldn't decide and am still owner of neither, haha.

SyncoID

The Smiley Grouch said...

Yup... Sounds like wat u need is a galaxy tab or iPad... :)